How To Study Pathology for NEET PG 2018?
There is no need for the candidates to go through each and every topic in all the subjects for the preparation of NEET PG 2018, if an aspirants gains command over few high yield topics or scoring subjects that have been tested by experts after going through each and every Medical examination paper you can achieve success in a smart way.
Pathology is a very important subject of MBBS. 25% of weightage is given for pathology in PG entrance exams. A majority of the candidates find this subject tough and challenging. BEST advice to candidates is to concentrate then only you can get through successfully.
When in doubt you must refer to latest edition of Robbins’ Pathology since it has been written keeping in mind South-East Asia.
Important Topics of Pathology for NEET PG 2018 are:
Cell as a Unit of Health & Disease
- Cell Genome- In this, you need to prepare Epigenetics and how to diagnose a case of Epigenetics.
- Types of Collagen, where they are located and the diseases which occur due to their deficiency.
- Stem cells
- Cell Adaptation, Repair and Injury
This chapter is very important and must not be missed.
- Reversible Injury
- Irreversible Injury
- Difference between Reversible & Irreversible Injury
- Calcification and their examples
- Factors which lead to increased vascular permeability (Regularly repeated)
- Cellular events of Inflammation
- Mediators of Inflammation
- Cell Repair and the day-wise approach
- Mendelian Inheritance – Autosomal Dominant & Autosomal Recessive. Be cautious of the fact that all dominant diseases do not present like autosomal recessive.
- Factors affecting autosomal dominant diseases such as Co-dominance, Pleiotropism, etc.
- Examples of Automosal Dominant and Autosomal Recessive
- Non-Mendelian Inheritance such as Trinucleotide Repeat and Silencing
- Genomic Imprinting, Maternal and Paternal Disomy
- Neoplasia – Try to remember only the most important mutations.
- Metaplasia, dysplasia, anaplasia
- Cell cycle
- Cell cycle inhibitors
- Ras, proto-ontogenesis
- Tumor suppressor genes
- Paraneoplastic syndromes
- Lab diagnosis of cancer
- Tumor markers
- Tumor suppressor Genes – Prepare the ones present in the Nucleus
- Warbug effect
- Tumor markers used in Diagnostic and Prognostic field nowadays
If you prepare Immunity from Pathology, there is no need to prepare Immunity from Microbiology.
- NK cells, Dendritic Cells and Antigen preventing cells
- Amyloidosis is very important
There are 3 units in this – RBCs, WBCs and Coagulation
Important Topics of WBC
- AML – in particular reference to the new WHO 2008 Classifications
- CML is very important topic and must not be missed
Important Topics of RBC
- Haemolytic Anemia (Sickle cell Anemia, Thallasemia)
- Sicle Cell Anemia – Mutations and the factors which increase or decrease Sick ling
- Thallasemia – Peripheral Smear finding
- Iron Deficiency Anemia – Prepare the difference between Iron Deficiency Anemia and Anemia of Chronic Disease
- Differential diagnosis of Pancytopenia – Pancytopenia with cellular bone marrow and Pancytopenia with A cellular Bone Marrow.
Important Topics of Coagulation
- Primary haemostatic plug
- Secondary haemostatic plug
- Deficiency of Coagulation Factors
- Von Willebrand disease
VII. Systemic Pathology
This topic can be covered with Medicine.
- Lung Cancers
- Endothyroid Carcinoma.
- Mesothelioma and the Histological Difference between Mesothelioma and Adenocarcinoma
- Thyroid Carcinoma – Types
- CNS Tumors
Other Important topics
- Different types of nephritis (Membranous, Minimal Change disease)
- Focal Segmental glomerulosclerosis.
- Alcoholic liver disease.
- Non Alcoholic liver disease.
- NASH (Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis)
- NAFLS (Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease)
- Candidates will get 300 multiple choice questions with single correct response.
- Questions would be asked in the exam in English language only.
- Please keep in mind weightage given to the MCQ’s will be completely provisional and the authority can make changes at any point of time.
- No marks would be deducted for wrong attempts.
- The test timing will be of 3hr. 30 min.
Properly preparing the above mentioned topics will definitely help you overcome the barrier of Pathology and boost your score in NEET PG 2018.
ALL THE BEST!