How To Study Obstetrics and Gynecology for NEET PG 2018
NEET PG 2018 is scheduled to be conducted on 7 January 2018 by the National Board of Examinations (NBE). It is important to understand NEET PG Syllabus and NEET PG exam pattern before preparing for the PG medical entrance exam. NEET PG 2018 is one of the most competitive entrance exams in India for PG medical admission in top medical colleges in India; hence, the level of difficulty is expected to be very high.
The NEET PG syllabus 2018 comprises of subjects as per the Graduate Medical Education Regulations issued by the Medical Council of India (MCI) with prior approval of the Government of India. It is very important for the aspirants to know what to study for the entrance exam and the topics that would require more focus.
Gynecology & Obstetrics are two vast subjects clubbed together. Studying everything on this subject is not possible during MBBS or during PG preparation. Mostly because you need to dedicate most of your time to Medicine and Surgery. Keep a selective approach for Gynaecology Obstetrics. Studying only the selected topics on this subject is enough.
Important topics of Gynaecology for NEET PG 2018 are as follows:
- Gynaecology Oncology: This is a very important topic and this should be revised on the last day before the exam or you will forget it. Important subtopics that need to be learned thoroughly are Ca Cervix, Ca Endometrium and Ca Ovary. You should prepare all the stages of these three and also the stage-wise treatment. While preparing the stages, don’t cram them. Follow a systematic study plan by comparing the stages and then learning (for example: If the pelvic node is involved what is the stage for Ca Cervix, Ca Endometrium, Ca Ovary. If an Inguinal node is involved what is the stage for Ca Cervix, Ca Endometrium, Ca Ovary).
You should also prepare prognostic factors for Gynaecology cancers. This is very important as a question is asked from this section.
- PCOS: This is a very important topic, you can even say that this is the central part of gynecology. A sure shot question is always asked from this section. Pathophysiology of PCOS is important and also how you will treat it. Lab findings are important from examination viewpoint.
- Primary amenorrhea: Under this topic, you should emphasize on the approach to a patient with Primary amenorrhea or delayed puberty. How to distinguish between Androgen insensitivity syndrome, Turner’s syndrome and Mullerian agenesis looking at a case scenario. How to approach a patient differently if she presents with one of these.
These topics are more than sufficient for answering the MCQ based questions from Gynaecology.
Important topics of Obstetrics for NEET PG 2018:
- Pregnancy-induced HTN (PIH):
This is a very important topic in obstetrics. Since the guidelines of PIH had been changed in 2013, it is important to know the new guidelines of PIH and its definition. Definition of preeclampsia. Study the changes made in these topics because it is a hot topic for the examiners.
Study the drugs which are safe during pregnancy and also the drugs which are not. These drugs should not just aim at hypertensives but all the drugs which are contraindicated. Revise the list of categories as a question is definitely asked in the PGMEE. Though it is very difficult for a person to remember all the category drugs. So you can lay more emphasis on category X drugs.
So in a question about treatment 2 of the 4 options will be category X drugs, you can easily eliminate them and then make an intelligent guess.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM)
Special attention must be paid to the criteria of GDM which was recently amended. Even examiners target this topic, so be prepared for this one.
- Operative Obstetrics
This is a very important topic. All that you need to study under this topic are forceps and ventouse. Which one should be preferred under different conditions?
- Cesarean section
Under this section vaginal birth after cesarean is a very important topic that must be prepared. You need to remember when it is indicated and when it is contraindicated and you can expect a question from this topic.
- Reproductive Physiology
This is an important topic for AIIMS PG. Questions have appeared frequently on this topic like when the cardiac output peaks, when the TPR peaks.
- Other important topics
Then there are three major topics viz. H mole, Abortions, and Ectopic pregnancy. These three topics must be dealt as a whole. How these must be approached and what must be the protocols under different conditions.
Also, what you will do when a patient comes with ruptured ectopic or unruptured ectopic.
For recurrent abortions: What investigations will you do, what is the probable diagnosis.
The below mentioned other topics are also important for PG Entrance exam perspective:
- Ovarian Tumor
- Carcinoma Cervix
- Diabetic Mother
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- Gestational Trophoblastic Tumor
- Fibroid Uterus
- Abnormal Presentation
- Systemic Conditions And Pregnancy
- Endometrial Carcinoma
- Menstrual Irregularities
- Down Syndrome
- Heart disease in pregnancy
- Abruptio placenta
- Physiologic Changes in Pregnancy
- Placenta Previa
- Preterm Labour
- RH Isoimmunisation
- Neural tube defects
- Chorionic Villus Sampling
- Ultrasound in pregnancy
- Endometrial hyperplasia
- Induction Of Labor
- Testicular feminization syndrome
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Instrumental delivery
- Mullerian anomalies
These are the important topics which are sufficient to answer most of the questions from this subject.
Cracking NEET PG 2018 with good marks has always been regarded as an enriching and challenging experience. Because after getting admitted to MD/MS and PG Diploma Courses you will get a rewarding career and better future. Hence REVISION is a must. ALL THE BEST!